Saffron rice pudding/Saffranspannkaka
1. Place rice, salt and water in a pan. Simmer until the water is almost absorbed.
2. Add the cream and stir over a gentle heat. Add the milk to get a creamy texture.
Takes approx 30 min.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in saffron strands, sugar and almonds,
4. I use vodka to dissolve the saffron.
5. Beat the eggs with a fork. Add to the pudding and stir.
6. Pour into a buttered oven dish 11 x 15 inch.
7. Bake at 225 C/435 F for about 30 min. Test with a stick for a creamy texture.
8. When serving, cut directly from the dish. Serve with whipped cream and jam.
The pudding is served with whipped cream and dewberry jam ”Salmbärssylt”. A good substitute is mullberry or blackberry jam. The texture of the pudding should be creamy and served slightly warm or cold.
Preparation time: 1.5 hours 40 min
1 cup pudding rice
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups water
1 ¼ cups cream
1 cup milk
saffron strands ( one envelope)
2 tbsp sugar
½ cup almonds, skinned and roughly chopped